This will show you how to enable to startmenu on the linux OS that ships on your EEE pc.
- Open a terminal window by pressing CTRL+ALT+T on your keyboard.
- Inside the terminal window type "mkdir ~/.icewm" and press enter.
- Inside the terminal window type "copy /etc/X11/icewm/preferences /home/user/.icewm" and press enter.
- Inside the terminal window type "cd .icewm" and press enter.
- Inside the terminal window type "nano preferences" and press enter.
Now you should be looking at the preferences file you copied at the beginning of this tutorial.
Using your cursor key (down arrow) navigate to the line that says "TaskBarShowStartMenu=0" and change the 0 to a 1. It should look like the screen shot below.
Press CTRL+X and then press Y then ENTER to save.
That's it your done, press CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE and X will restart with your new startmenu.
Information for this tutorial was obtained from http://wiki.eeeuser.com/